Southwestern Quinoa

When I first became a vegetarian, I was ill-prepared, to say the least. I had no idea what constituted healthy eating, so I spent the first few months of my new veg life eating tater tots and cheese. Lots and lots of cheese. This did not end well. So I began to explore clean eating and gradually learned how to make the most of a plant-based diet, learning about new foods and picking up new techniques along the way.

Even though I've been vegetarian for almost three years now, I'm still learning, and am always striving to find ways to make my diet healthier and more fulfilling. Recently, I added quinoa to my repertoire, and as with the chickpeas, lentils, and green monsters that came before it, thought "why haven't I been eating this forever???"

Quinoa is super easy, super delicious, and super healthy (I know, I should totally be a food writer). After painstakingly following a few quinoa recipes, I realized that an established recipe isn't really even necessary for most simple dishes. So I threw caution to the wind and came up with my own.

Southwestern Quinoa
1 cup quinoa
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 green pepper, chopped
1 lime, juiced
1 tbsp taco seasoning (I was out of taco seasoning so I used a Mrs. Dash chipotle seasoning that had been in my cupboard for approximately forever)
dash cayenne pepper
shredded cheese

Cook the quinoa according to package directions. When finished, transfer it to a big bowl. In the same pot, cook the black beans in half of the lime juice. Cook the corn according to package directions. Chop the pepper. Add all ingredients together with the remaining lime juice and the spices. Mix well.  Top with shredded Mexican cheese, serve and enjoy!


what other healthy foods do I need to try?
You have read this article living healthy / recipes with the title Southwestern Quinoa. You can bookmark this page URL http://clothingfashion2012.blogspot.com/2011/06/southwestern-quinoa.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Southwestern Quinoa"

Post a Comment