FOTD: Edie Sedgwick Inspired 60s Retro Make Up Look

DSC_8927 

Looking back at the year so far, I've really been starting to experiment more with my make up. I've grown a bit tired of the typical top liner and mascara combination and the smokey eyes I roll out for those special occasions. I wanted to try something a bit different, something I'd never really done before.

So I looked back in time to see what people a little further back were doing with make up, and found that the women of the 60s had some interesting techniques going on. I came to the realisation that 60s eye make up will be my signature look for 2013, and that I must have been born in the wrong era!

I'd say that the main inspiration behind my experimentation is Edie Sedgwick, who was brought to my attention by Laa Laa (big thank you!). Just a quick Google Image search shows that this lady oozed class, her make up always looked incredible, yet so so simple! 

Over the years I've kinda got into this routine with my everyday eye make up, which consists of a wash of white or cream eyeshadow on the lids. It's not too dissimilar to the kind of shadow used back then, so perhaps that plays a part as to why it has appealed so much to me.


But I think that the biggest draw for me is the sheer amount of eyeliner involved. I've been using it since I was 15 and it'd just be criminal for me not to use any. 

Eyeliner is my crack.

 If there were an 'Eyeliners Anonymous' I'd probably go, but when they say they're trying to help wean me off it, I'd scream and crash through the window, running home quickly so I can roll around on the bed with my Clinique Brush on Cream Liner.

Anyways... My 60s Style Make Up is ever evolving, no two looks are the same as I continue to play around and experiment. It's quite a bold look and some may say that it's too bold to rock out every day, but you know what? F**k the rules. If I've got the time, why not? ;)

Now onto the evidence:

DSC_8852 

Exhibit A: Thick Eyebrows, Rose Red Lips and Wavy Eye Shadow

 DSC_8861 

Exhibit B: From the side...

 DSC_8925 

Exhibit C: Thick Black Lines hug the Eye-line, before breaking away

 DSC_8904 

Exhibit D: Close up on the Contacts, my actual pupil is still visible!

*FACE*

YSL Touche Éclat Foundation in BD50 (MAC equivelant NC37-NC40)
MAC Prep+Prime LoosePowder

*CHEEKS*

Illamasqua Cream Blusher in Crush
Fake Bake Bronzey Babe Bronzer Compact

*EYES*

MAC E/S in Orb (wash over eyelids)
Clinique Brush On Cream Liner in True Black (top liner and flicks)
Benefit Badgal Smouldering Black Eye Pencil (lower lashline)
Pixi Glow Tinker Bell Fairy Dust (inner corner highlight)
Benefit Eye Bright Pencil (waterline and brow bone) 
Soap & Glory Thick & Fast Mascara

*LIPS*

Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Beso

So that was my 60s Style Make Up look! As I'm experimenting so much, with no two looks being the same and a few variations here or there, I feel I need to start investing more into my eyeliners. For the flick on the upper and lower lash lines, I've been using the Clinique Gel Liner which lacks the kind of precision and colour intensity that I want. I'll be looking into purchasing a felt-tipped liner to give me that, which should elevate this look to new heights!

I've been spending a lot more time recently on my make up, and as a result my skills are improving and my confidence is growing. The old saying really is true:

"Practice Makes Perfect..."

I'd encourage everyone reading to mix things up a bit with their look and try something new, what's the worst that could happen? I will definitely be experimenting more and more, and will be posting new looks in the not-too-distant future! 

It's been a little while since my last post, so apologies for that but life has been very, very busy recently and I've just been so tired! But, I had some exciting news on Friday so the blogging bug has bitten me again! :) 

Tell me about what, or who, inspires your make up looks? How often do you try something fresh?
 Halima
You have read this article 60s Makeup / Benefit / EOTD / FOTD / illamasqua / MAC / Make Up Looks / Pixi Beauty / Stila / YSL Beauty with the title FOTD: Edie Sedgwick Inspired 60s Retro Make Up Look . You can bookmark this page URL http://clothingfashion2012.blogspot.com/2013/08/fotd-edie-sedgwick-inspired-60s-retro.html. Thanks!

No comment for "FOTD: Edie Sedgwick Inspired 60s Retro Make Up Look "

Post a Comment